EU Blue Card for Spain

Spanish EU Blue Card

If you are a highly-qualified worker wishing to work in an EU country, you might be able to get an EU Blue Card. The EU Blue Card is a special work and residence permit that allows the holder to access the job market in the EU.

The EU blue card system aims to make Europe a strong and important player on the global labour market, enhancing its competitiveness and attracting highly skilled workers from abroad (third countries) to Europe. The system is based on the thesis that Europe is stronger and more competitive when it works together to attract qualified workers than as individual Member States. Individuals who have held an EU Blue Card for more than 18 months and who are hired by a Spanish company can travel to Spain without the need for a visa.

  • Also read about how to get One Year Business Visa for SPAIN. More information here
    more details visa for spain

Here you can find out more about the rights that an European Blue Card Blue Card holder can enjoy.

The EU Blue Card Scheme

The EU Blue Card Scheme is aimed to make Europe a more attractive destination for professionals from the countries outside the European Union. All EU member states, except the United Kingdom, Denmark and Ireland, participate in the EU Blue Card scheme.

The European initiative with the Blue Card has a number of distinctive qualities that will help Europe become the world’s most favourite migration destination:

  • Free movement within the Schengen area
  • Socio-economic rights and freedoms
  • Working and salary conditions equal to those of nationals
  • Favourable conditions for family reunification
  • Permanent residence perspective

The Blue Card Requirements

Three key requirements are to be met in order to request the EU Blue Card are the following

  • Non-EU citizenship
  • Educated or professionally experienced
  • Employment contract or binding job offer

A person or his employer must submit an application for an EU Blue Card to the competent national authorities in Spain. According to the Spanish rules, you may have to pay an application fee.

Need professional advice? Leave us a message!

What are ‘Higher professional qualifications’?

Higher professional qualifications are:
qualifications attested by evidence of higher education qualifications of studies that lasted at least three years. Foreign educational qualifications usually need to be recognised by the Member States in question. This means that you need a formal acknowledgement by a competent authority of the validity of a foreign qualification with a view to access to educational and/or employment activities. Spain also allows for relevant professional experience to be taken into account. This must be at least five years of professional experience of a level comparable to higher education qualifications and which is relevant in the profession or sector specified in the work contract or binding job offer.

A Spanish Blue Card is valid for a year and is renewable for as long as you still meet the conditions. If the term of the labour contract is for a shorter period, a Blue Card may be issued for the duration of the contract plus 3 months.
Family members of the Spanish Blue Card holder are also allowed to reside in the Republic of Spain. They will be issued a permit to temporarily reside in Spain for the same duration as their Blue-Card-holding family member.

Employers who wish to employ a non-EU resident foreign professional in Spain must submit, in person or via their legal representative, the application for an initial permit to the competent authorities in the province in which the job is to take place. The examination of document for Spanish EU Blue Card takes some times, but if the employee’s specialization is in the list of needed specialists, the process would take shorter. If the work and residence permit (blue card) is granted, the migrant must apply, in person for the correct entry visa at the diplomatic mission or consulate where they live, within a month of the employer being notified.

However, the Spanish authorities may reject the Blue Card application if an applicant does not meet the Blue Card rules or the application was based on incorrect or false information, or the applicant presents a threat to public policy, public security or public health. Spanish authorities may also reject the Blue Card application if a Spanish national or EU worker, or an already legally present non-EU citizen, could fill the vacancy; the employer has been found guilty of employing irregular migrants without the necessary documents.

The Blue card Benefits

As a holder of a Spanish EU Blue Card, you are guaranteed equal treatment with citizens of Spain and have the same socio-economic rights. You have the same rights to working conditions; professional education and training; recognition of diplomas and qualifications; social security and access to goods and services offered to the public. The important benefit is that with a Spanish EU Blue Card, it will be easier to get long-term residence status, as the rules for calculating the period of time necessary are more generous. An important benefit is that with the EU Blue Card, a person can visit other EU countries for up to three months during a six-month period. You can also travel through other EU countries on your way to Spain. Moreover, a person can apply to bring his family to live with him in the country which issues the EU Blue Card as long as he and they meet all the conditions.

If you become unemployed, you have three months to find a new job. If you are still unemployed after three months, your Spanish EU Blue Card may be withdrawn. If you overstay the validity period of your EU Blue Card, you will find yourself in an irregular situation and may be required to leave the country. In order to avoid unnecessary difficulties with the Spanish EU Blue Card it is highly recommendable to address to professionals who will consult you and assist in all matters in connection to the Spanish EU Blue Card. blonde milf