Types of employment visas
At the moment, there are only two types of visas allowing legal employment:
- Under declaration of intention to entrust a job to a foreigner. It is a work permit for a period not exceeding 6 months per year.
- Under the voivodeship offer of employment. It is permit for employment all year around.
Since visa and work permit under a Pole‘s Card allow legal stay of other types and are not considered in this material.
The two mentioned types of visas have one thing in common – for each of them an offer of employment is required: in the first case, the invitation is from the employer, in the second case, it is from the voivodeship of the locality where the actual employment will take place.
Necessary documents for work in Poland
Regardless of the type of employment visa, there is a compulsory set of documents for a national visa to Poland that must be submitted to the Consulate (Visa Application Centre, PPVA). Let us find out what kind of package it is.
This is the clearest document from the list. All that is necessary to do is to see if it is still valid.
Foreign passport for traveling to Poland for work
The document must satisfy the following conditions (the original plus a copy of all pages with the Schengen visa and the latest national visa):
- The validity of the passport ends at least 180 days from the date of the last planned entry into the Republic of Poland.
- There are at least two free pages for stamping entry / exit stamps.
- The period of validity of the document does not exceed 10 years. Therefore, upon reaching this deadline, the passport should not be renewed, but replaced.
In accordance with the EU Visa Code, a passport must have a built-in chip containing information about the owner, including fingerprints – the so-called biometric passports. All details of the form, purpose and method of obtaining the document are discussed in detail in other articles.
In order to obtain an employment visa, you must provide not only a valid passport, but also information about additional documents (if any). This can be a special mark in the passport or a corresponding certificate from the OVIR. If there are any other valid passports, their originals and copies should also be provided.
The requirements for medical insurance are the following:
- The insurance applies to all EU countries, the Schengen states or the whole world;
- compensation of at least € 30,000 per person;
- a franchise of maximum € 100 – € 150;
- unmistakable writing of the full name, residence, number of documents and other;
- validity period – at least 15 days longer than the validity date of the visa.
The policyholder can only be an adult person. Together with the insurance, a copy of the receipt is provided to the PPVA, indicating the full name and the number of the policy.
Application for obtaining visa
The application form is both a questionnaire (information about the applicant combined in one place), and an application for a visa. Currently, there is an opportunity to fill out the document online, with a parallel entry for admission to the PPVA. This is an added convenience, and not an obligation – you can choose an option of “manual” filling.
Please read carefully all the requirements for an application form for a work visa and the process of filling it.
Remember that any, even the smallest, mistake in the questionnaire can serve as an excuse for refusing to issue a visa. To PAPVA, a signed sample is submitted.
Depending on the consular institution, it may take one or two photographs (not including the one that will be pasted into the application). Special requirements for visa photo re discussed in another article
Offer of employment
Usually, the invitation is sent by an employer. To get the voivodship offer of employment, the employer initiates the process at the enterprise registration place (in Poland), the voivodeship considers the request and, in case of a positive decision, sends the applicant a relevant document.
All the nuances in connection to registration, receipt, necessary documents and other parameters of the offer of employment are discussed in detail in another article.
Receipt of payment for visa centre services
Visa centres are not a consular department, but only an official intermediary between the latter and the applicant. The centre will help to collect and issue the documents, to transfer them to the appropriate authorities in Poland, then to retransmit the decision (approved or denied) and will give a ready visa (passport). These services are paid – a receipt for their payment must be attached to the main package of documents.
What documents are required for the annual visa?
The annual employment visa, in addition to its validity period, also gives a lot of opportunities. All the advantages of this document, as well as the detailed process of its registration (from the first steps of the employer to obtaining a visa applicant) can be found in another article.
Depending on international conventions in force, there are certain additional requirements for employment visa established for citizens of different countries.
For citizens of Nigeria there are the following additional documents:
- Copy of work permit;
- Written information from employer regarding conditions of employment;
- Written proof of how contact was made with the potential employee and how his skills were verified;
- Documents proving applicant’s qualifications for the purpose of the visit (proof of employment in a related field, career history; certificates, diplomas, etc.);
- All other documents required in a given field (permits, qualifications, licenses etc.);
- Hotel reservation or proof of another accommodation. For applicants planning to stay with family or friends or being sponsored by Polish/EU citizens in any other way, an invitation registered with appropriate Polish authorities (Urzad Wojewodzki)is required;
- Documents regarding the applicants’ family situation, such as marriage/birth certificates.
For citizens of India there are the following additional documents:
- Valid passport (issued within the last 10 years and with at least 3 months validity after the scheduled return; passports with observations regarding the front data page cannot be accepted), with at least two empty pages;
- Application form duly signed, with 3 passport photographs according to biometric specifications, not older than 6 months;
- Work permit issued by the competent authorities in Poland – Urząd Wojewódzki;
- Employment contract with a company in Poland;
- Deputation order from Indian employer confirming deputation, if applicable;
- Personal covering letter explaining the exact purpose and duration of stay;
- One way flight reservation;
- Travel medical insurance
– For the A-Type Work Permits covering the first 2 weeks of the stay in Poland;
– For any other types of Work Permits for the entire first year of stay in Poland;
- Proof of qualifications and experience certificates for future employment in Poland;
- 1 copy of the passport’s data page (A4 size copy).
All documents should to be submitted in the given order and in original. Should you wish to keep any original, kindly provide a copy (A4 size). Submission of the above-mentioned documents does not guarantee that a visa is granted. Submission of incomplete documentation or refusal to appear for a special visa interview may result in the rejection of your application.
For citizens of Pakistan there are the following additional documents:
- Visa application formduly filled and signed by the applicant;
- 2 recent photographs of the applicant, not older than six months;
- An ordinary passport or other recognized travel document valid for at least three months from the expiry date of the visa applied for. This document must have at least two empty pages. Please bring previous passports, if any, and attach with application copies, on A4 size paper, of used pages;
- Photocopy of your national ID card;
- Third country nationals residing in Pakistan must provide supporting documents proving legal residence;
- If you have been refused a visa by an Embassy or High Commission in the last two years, written explanation about reason for trip and refusal;
- Formal “work permit” issued by Urząd Wojewódzki in Poland on the request of an employer;
- Applicant’s work experience certificates, school diplomas, professional skills certificate;
- Certificate (NOC) from last workplace in Pakistan;
- Photocopy of confirmed airline reservation showing dates of departure and return;
- Original AND copy of a travel medical insurance policy of not less than 30,000 Euros. The policy must cover medical and hospitalization expenses on Schengen territory as well as repatriation costs for at least first 3 months of stay or until the first payment of the health insurance tax by the employer. Consult valid list of authorized insurance companies in Pakistan as agreed by Schengen Partners in Islamabad;
- Original bank statements of the last six months;
- National Tax Number Certificate (NTM) for the previous two years and proof of income tax payment (FBR);
- Last three salary slips;
- Proof of accommodation;
- Proof of health insurance for the whole period of stay in Poland or travel health insurance policy.
Citizens of Belarus, Moldova, the Russian Federation, Ukraine and the Republic of Armenia may take up employment without the necessity of obtaining a work permit for a period not exceeding 6 months within 12 subsequent months. Such employment is based on an employer’s declaration of intention to entrust a job to a foreigner submitted by a Polish employer and registered in the county Labour Office for every industry.